Tuesday, September 14

Power of the Stained glass

Today I was reading a post on Arun Vaidyanathan’s blog. It was talking about senseless Brahmin bashing. I was wondering why the ones who are bashing are doing so. Are there some actual reasons behind this entire Brahmin bashing or people just do it for the heck of it?
Thinking about this made me realize the power of the stained glass. We all wear one and as a matter of fact we all see the world through the stained glass and yet don’t realize that we are wearing one. Everyone’s stained glass is unique and different from the other. The stained glass is like a glass ceiling on a cathedral, with many shades and colors in it. Each shade and color represents one's own value system, brought up, education, culture, beliefs, personal experiences, role models and outlook towards life. Most of the stains (colors/shades) form in the early part of life and stay forever.

Okay coming to the topic of Brahmin bashing and Stained glass, what’s the connection. At times I think there is some deep-rooted reason in Brahmin bashing. As a matter of fact I don’t do, but whenever some one does I don’t find fault with them due to my stained glass. I am not a Brahmin, but most of my close friends are Brahmins and I feel good about every one of them. But this incident, which happened some 20-22 years ago, left a permanent stain on my glass. At that time I was studying in third standard in Bharthiya Vidya Bhavan, Coimbatore. Sankaracharya was visiting the city/school. The school authorities in BVB said he would come to the school and that he would be staying in a rich man's house near by for some yagam and interested people can visit the rich man's house and attend the yagam. My dad was a bank manager and I told my dad about this and he took us all. We met Sankaracharya and took his blessings. Food preparations were going on and the aroma of the food was making me feel excited. I wanted to have food there, but an announcement came in the mike and I still can remember every word of it. It said all Brahmins can stay for food and everyone else can take the prasadam and leave. I was so young, but even after 20 years I can remember the effect it had on me. It made me feel inferior for no reason that I was aware of.

1 comment:

Arun Vaidyanathan said...

Dear Ganesh,
Greetings. I read your blog and it was sad whatever happened to you! But these kind of things even happen to Brahmins from various sources...'Paarpanukku thimir jaasthi', 'Paarpaan poonulai arukkanum' kindaa bashings..but that never made me to hate the whole community for some individual mistake. Sometimes, those so called Holy Sankara madams hurt 'poor' brahmins too. More than brahmins, rich are worshipped in most of the madams! (Afterall, they need money to run the madams..so I dont blame them for that). Anyway, each and every hate has a reason to justify it!
Thanks for your comments and also for visiting my blog!